Arctic Monkeys - 2011

Re: Arctic Monkeys - 2011

Postby JackWMS » 28 May 2011, 02:53

Mines clean as a whistle, with just that sticker inside.

I would just get another, they are only £3.49 from the bands sight which is very good really!
JackWMS

Postby rovers95 » 28 May 2011, 16:20

No barcode on my label either, just the "boat" sticker that's still intact, the etching is "RUG258XXXXXXX" - I think the X's are to cover something but can't read what.

BTW; if anyone gets the chance to see Roger Waters do "The Wall" go for it - amazing show!!
rovers95

Postby JackWMS » 28 May 2011, 16:45

Mine says the same Rovers. Also it say 'Jackie Pantomime' in the runouts on the B-side, is yours the same?
JackWMS

Postby mirrorboxer » 28 May 2011, 20:54

I'm going to order another Matador. The sticker has always bothered me anyhow. My matrix is RUG258XXXXXXX with Jackie Pantomime in the runout so it sounds like the rest of you.

I got my Suck It & See LP and Don't Sit Down 10" and there was NO PATCH in sight. Huge let down. I don't see how i didn't get one either. I placed my preorder on the first day before any mass mailings went out. I wonder if it has anything to do with being in the US? I hope better for the rest of you...
mirrorboxer

Postby JackWMS » 29 May 2011, 03:04

That is a bummer, Still you got the LP and that isn't meant to come out until 6th June! not bad.

Is it a gatefold? Any nice extras like inner sleeves? I cannot wait to get mine. I was goig to get it on CD 'cos my amp was being funny with my Turntable but I fixed my old amp and it sounds great now, Cannot wait to get my LP. :)
JackWMS

Postby mirrorboxer » 29 May 2011, 17:31

You're right, I got it earlier, but I paid extra for the patch. I could have saved $8 buying it from Amazon.

Gatefold - Yes
Extras - Lyric sheet

The opened gatefold shows a grainy picture of the band. Equally as boring as the front and back covers. The one nice thing is that they used a top quality inner sleeve (paper with inner plastic lining). I always appreciate when bands use those. Keeps the scuffing to a minimum. My record is a bit warped too which I find odd since it is 180g. The content is excellent so I guess a wash through and through.
mirrorboxer

Postby JackWMS » 30 May 2011, 13:27

Nice! Like their first LP had one of those s**te stiff card ones, so bollocks. Scuffs the record right up, glad they've got a the right idea this time.

I can't wait, they are streaming it now but I really want to wait to give it a spin on the old turntable. Everyone seems to saying it is on par with their best work, I cannot f**king wait :twisted:So hard to resist.

On other related news I got a 25 track CD of ebay, just got it in the post today. Most likely not official but the guy says he got some from one of their early gigs and is now selling them. Anyone regardless of the legitimacy of it, it is still a load of tracks from 'Beneath the Bordwalk' and other demo's that I didn't have yet and their's the slightest of chances it's one of the early bootlegs.... although he has sold about 10 of them :lol:
JackWMS

Postby rovers95 » 30 May 2011, 17:08

JackWMS wrote:Mine says the same Rovers. Also it say 'Jackie Pantomime' in the runouts on the B-side, is yours the same?

Indeed it is the same as mine Jack...
rovers95

Postby JackWMS » 31 May 2011, 03:11

What is the Jackie Pantomime thing about? It is also quoted on the inlay of FWN isn't it?
JackWMS

Postby rovers95 » 31 May 2011, 21:03

I don't know either, some people on the am.com forum think it might be an unreleased song - but only cos it's etched in the run out of "Matador" and "Sketchead is coming" was etched in the runout on "Flourescent Adolescent" and then Sketchead became a track (on the 10" of Cornerstone" and the itunes Humbug LP). Yes I know, I'm an :ugeek:

Hopefully, Jackie Pantomime is coming :lol:
rovers95

Postby JackWMS » 31 May 2011, 23:57

I hope so too!

Second single from this, as a B-side!
JackWMS

Postby rovers95 » 01 Jun 2011, 19:52

Indeed, any AM B-sides are brilliant - have got a playlist on my ipod of just all their b-sides, ace drivin material :lol:

Got my SIAS vinyl from my local record shop today - lurvely 180gm thick vinyl, quality plastic lined inner paper sleeve, gatefold grainy pic of the lads on (what looks like) the Yorkshire moors and an amusing black n white pic of Matt wearing a bikers helmet and roller skates on the lyric sheet :lol:

Seriously mate, get it streaming from am.com now, it's only up there this week till the 6th ;)
rovers95

Postby JackWMS » 02 Jun 2011, 01:30

rovers95 wrote:
Seriously mate, get it streaming from am.com now, it's only up there this week till the 6th ;)

Last thing I need is you egging be on! :lol:
JackWMS

Postby mirrorboxer » 02 Jun 2011, 22:55

Turns out I'm getting a patch after all. I got an email from MARTMAN stating that those who purchased vinyl will have their patches shipped out seperately. Go figure... 8-)
mirrorboxer

Postby JackWMS » 03 Jun 2011, 02:02

I gave in, well not quite, but I went and bought the CD because I couldn't wait for the vinyl release.

It's bloody great, I even liked Humbug, but this is soooo much better. Brick By Brick doesn't seem too out of place and so far I love how the album flows in a nice calm to hectic style thing. Can Turner write a bad song???? :lol:
JackWMS

Postby JackWMS » 04 Jun 2011, 14:23

All this new album stuff has got me wondering...

Am I the only person who likes Humbug? No just thinks it's okay, but actually enjoys to listen to it? I certainly feel than everyone hates this record.
JackWMS

Postby rovers95 » 04 Jun 2011, 15:46

JackWMS wrote:All this new album stuff has got me wondering...

Am I the only person who likes Humbug? No just thinks it's okay, but actually enjoys to listen to it? I certainly feel than everyone hates this record.

I fuckin LOVE Humbug Jack, especially Potion Approaching and My Propellor - I was hoping there would be more Humbug-esque tracks on SIAS, but Library Pictures definitely makes up for this, what a fuckin CHOOOOOON 8-)
rovers95

Postby JackWMS » 05 Jun 2011, 03:16

Nice one! Yeah I love humbug, Sits comfortably as my 2nd favourite of theirs at the moment.

Potion Approaching is one of AM's best songs, musically it is amazing and very unique for them, also that little guitar bit that follows Alex's lyrics on mid way through is one of the main highlights of Humbug, Also lyrically! ''If I could be someone else for a week, I'd spend it chasing after you'', unbeatable!

Yeah the album is a bit heavy and a complete change from the usual, also very american, but it is still an amazing piece of song writing. Their first 3 album run in a lovely progression in my mind and each album is mainly made up of:

WPSIA - Personal observations of UK life, Social commentary.
FWN - Personal observations of people and individuals more than situations (i.e. they weren't going out on the piss anymore, to write about it would be hypercritical)
Humbug - Personal feeling and emotions under many more metaphors and disguises. (They were removed from their old lives so it is reflected in that)

All three however have razor sharp wit and musically are perfect.

PS yes, I do have too much time to evaluate things to an obsessive extreme :DBTW did you like TLSP and Turner's solo EP?
JackWMS

Postby JackWMS » 05 Jun 2011, 04:33

Oh yeah, also, did you bid on either of those W/Labels?

I saw your question on their about payment haha :lol:They LP went for £300 and the single £125, fairplay though, I've seen Five Minutes go for £150 and there are a fair amount of those compared to these!
JackWMS

Postby rovers95 » 05 Jun 2011, 09:48

WOW :shock:Nice analysis of their albums there mate! :lol:Yeah I did like TLSP, "Hang the Cyst" was by far their best song, even though it was a b-side of "Standing Next To Me". I was lucky enough to see them at Reading Festival in '08 too, and they were brilliant 8-)
"Submarine" was also very good, displayed how versatile Turner can be with his song writing and acoustic guitar work, very chilled.

As for those W/L test pressings - I might have had a dabble on both of them..... ;)

Roll on Friday the 10th June, we're off to the Don Valley Bowl!!!! 8-)
rovers95

Postby mirrorboxer » 06 Jun 2011, 04:12

JackWMS wrote:Am I the only person who likes Humbug? ... I certainly feel than everyone hates this record.

You're not the only one who enjoys the record.

I very well might be the only person that thinks that Humbug is the bands BEST album...and that was a serious comment. I'm not trying to start any debates or arguments; only stating that I prefer Humbug to the rest of their top notch catalog.
mirrorboxer

Postby JackWMS » 06 Jun 2011, 13:00

rovers95 wrote:WOW :shock:Nice analysis of their albums there mate! :lol:Yeah I did like TLSP, "Hang the Cyst" was by far their best song, even though it was a b-side of "Standing Next To Me". I was lucky enough to see them at Reading Festival in '08 too, and they were brilliant 8-)
"Submarine" was also very good, displayed how versatile Turner can be with his song writing and acoustic guitar work, very chilled.

As for those W/L test pressings - I might have had a dabble on both of them..... ;)

Roll on Friday the 10th June, we're off to the Don Valley Bowl!!!! 8-)

I'm not well acquainted with TLSP B-sides as I only own one single :oops:
My local has all the five I'm missing but at $10 each it all adds up, I will soon though. Yeah I loved Submarine (although I haven't seen the film, but I also rate Richard Ayoade very highly), the lyrics are amazing and Stuck On The Puzzle is one of my favourites ever.

Mirror, I agreed at one point. I listened to WPSIA though and it shattered it, but it's still second at the moment. I'm not a fan of FWN tbh, although it has some amazing songs on it (505, Only Ones, THIAC) there are a few I dislike and as an album I don't like the 'flow' of it. I know you're not taking the piss and no arguement can be found here if you are praising Humbug. The fact they also played sets consisting mainly of that album to tonnes of indie kids to a mixed response makes me very happy :twisted:
JackWMS

Postby rovers95 » 09 Jun 2011, 18:00

Received my SIAS Vinyl from Domino today - WITH PATCH! I was well :oto say the least, it was just loose in the box with the vinyl, was hoping it would be sealed with the LP in the shrink, ah well, at least I got one :D

Don Valley Bowl tomorrow here I come!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D
rovers95

Postby JackWMS » 09 Jun 2011, 23:02

rovers95 wrote:Don Valley Bowl tomorrow here I come!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Faiplay man, although reviews are going to be everywhere you must report back here and give us a firsthand summary, set list and all ;)

Have a good'un
JackWMS

Postby th_05 » 18 Jun 2011, 14:05

Finally got to familiar myself with the album the last few days. Its far better than Humbug. Loving Black Treacle at the moment.
th_05

PreviousNext

Return to All Things General