Brother (Band)

Brother (Band)

Postby mattlee345 » 31 May 2011, 21:04

Anyone heard them?

Heralded as the revival of Britpop, I personally don't think any of their songs sound similar to Oasis specifically, but it has a resemblence to the 90's movement with a bit of a new twist on it.

Saw them live the other night too and I can happily say, having seen Oasis and Beady Eye twice, Brother blew them out of the water; best live act I have ever seen - Which in fairness may have been as much to do with the size of the venue (500) but the stage invasion on the final song was just something else!

...Couple of links to their songs posted below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXQOfXkLY_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAUeW6y6 ... ure=relmfu

There's a load more on YouTube as well, let us hear what you think because I know for one I'm mad fer it!
mattlee345

Re: Brother (Band)

Postby bibou09 » 07 Jun 2011, 13:21

Yes I know them, I pre ordered their cd as well.
I hope they come in France someday so I'll be able to see them live :D
bibou09

Postby Elviniho » 16 Jun 2011, 13:41

Yeah i just got my ticket to go and see them, there quite decent.
Elviniho

Postby marcmelrose » 17 Jun 2011, 19:30

Seen them at the Rockness festival last week. Was really into there recorded stuff but live... just didnt keep me interested. Granted a was wired and had been drinking from like 9 am and this was like 6pm but just didn't dig it. Aw and the singer has a terrible tattoo. like awful.
marcmelrose

Postby digdug » 18 Jun 2011, 16:47

marcmelrose wrote:Aw and the singer has a terrible tattoo. like awful.

They were an emo band a year ago. His Geffen handlers could cut his hair and stuff but they couldn't get rid of the tattoos obviously.

By the way, here's a video of him mincing around like a woman. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7dv-7Yq4fU
digdug

Postby mattlee345 » 18 Jun 2011, 22:56

digdug wrote:
marcmelrose wrote:Aw and the singer has a terrible tattoo. like awful.

They were an emo band a year ago. His Geffen handlers could cut his hair and stuff but they couldn't get rid of the tattoos obviously.

By the way, here's a video of him mincing around like a woman. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7dv-7Yq4fU

Does it bother you though - Not that I have heard any of there earlier stuff, but from what I have read and what I imagine, Oasis were just as poor before Noel joined in the early 90's? Ok, the change in direction perhaps suggests there not what they claim to be, but good music is good music, and there first album is one of the best I have heard in a very long time.
mattlee345

Postby digdug » 19 Jun 2011, 21:34

Well the great thing about the video I posted is that it looks just like their music sounded. So you can avoid listening to their old songs entirely and still get a feel for how embarrassing their back catalogue is. :P

Before Noel Gallagher joined Oasis they had a couple of unremarkable Madchester-influenced songs. His early material was also unremarkable but he improved over time.

Brother made multiple albums and music videos of post-hardcore wuss music and then suddenly changed every aspect of their band around the same time that they were signed to a major label. Not suspicious at all, right?

I don't like to focus on image over music, but to me this band is all style and no substance. And the style is just something they copied.
digdug

Postby mattlee345 » 20 Jun 2011, 12:52

digdug wrote:Well the great thing about the video I posted is that it looks just like their music sounded. So you can avoid listening to their old songs entirely and still get a feel for how embarrassing their back catalogue is. :P

Before Noel Gallagher joined Oasis they had a couple of unremarkable Madchester-influenced songs. His early material was also unremarkable but he improved over time.

Brother made multiple albums and music videos of post-hardcore wuss music and then suddenly changed every aspect of their band around the same time that they were signed to a major label. Not suspicious at all, right?

I don't like to focus on image over music, but to me this band is all style and no substance. And the style is just something they copied.

Yeah, I have listened to their old stuff, and I agree, it's awful.

They never had mulitple albums though, what happened was all the different members of the current band (Brother) were in differing bands during there teenage years - Wolf Am I, Kill the Arcade - There's a couple more too, but, never has this current line up produced music together before this album - So the band Brother don't actually have a back catalogue, but individual members do. That's why there signing to Geffen is not suspicious at all, because it was based not on there previous history making the post-hardcore music you talk of; but on there Britpop revivalist type music which will be there coming album this summer.

I accept their individual attempts at musical production prior to Brother were damn awful, but it would be wrong to criticise there signing to Geffen.
mattlee345

Postby marcmelrose » 21 Jun 2011, 00:21

Wolf i am consisted of the same line up as brother today. Think there manufactured, i would be lien if i said a didn't find there recorded stuff really catchy! but its almost like an emo going up and battering out supersonic it just doesn't work. They have a black female singer live though, shes actually amazing!
marcmelrose

Postby mattlee345 » 21 Jun 2011, 17:03

marcmelrose wrote:Wolf i am consisted of the same line up as brother today. Think there manufactured, i would be lien if i said a didn't find there recorded stuff really catchy! but its almost like an emo going up and battering out supersonic it just doesn't work. They have a black female singer live though, shes actually amazing!

Wolf I Am had five members, as did Kill the Arcade. The exact same line up as Brother was not present in either band.
mattlee345

Postby digdug » 22 Jun 2011, 03:39

That's like saying Beady Eye isn't Oasis minus Noel because they have a new bassist. Brother is nearly the same as the last incarnation of the band and the principal players were the same throughout.

Kill the Arcade band members: Leonard, Sam, Frank, Daniel, Chris
Wolf Am I band members: Leonard, Sam, Frank, Daniel, Josh
Brother band members: Leonard, Sam, Frank, Josh

Nobody criticized them for signing to Geffen records. I'm criticizing them for being hired by Geffen to perform songs written by other Geffen employees. I'm criticizing them for pretending they wrote those songs. I'm criticizing them for constantly trying incredibly hard to sound and behave like another band. That's the impression I've gotten from all of the material I've seen, which amounts to a lot. A band this mundane doesn't become the focus of a label bidding war after playing a total of four shows.

Don't make excuses for something so transparently manipulative.
digdug

Return to All Things General