Richard Ashcroft?

Richard Ashcroft?

Postby shakermaker05 » 14 Jun 2011, 03:33

What the heck is going on with this guy? I know he just released an album, but I haven't heard anything about it. The only reviews I've read have been very, very negetive. From what I read he's gone soul/hip hop WTF? I was just wondering has anybody checked out the new material?

I'm a much bigger Verve fan than Ashcroft, but I've always thought Ashcroft's solo albums were good. I would consider his last offering "Keys to the World" a VERY good album. I just can't imagine anything he put out being bad. Anyone have any opinions on this?
shakermaker05

Re: Richard Ashcroft?

Postby damonlufc » 14 Jun 2011, 11:50

Richard Ashcroft released an album last year called 'RPA & UNITED NATIONS OF SOUND'i think the RPA is his initials, anyway, its an indie style album with mixed reviews. I enjoyed the album and saw him perform it live exactly a year ago tomorrow at Manchester Apollo. He played the tour before the album was released, along with some of his classic songs too. He played a song called 'this thing called life' at brixton academy when beady eye did the japenese benefit concert but judging by how many people were singing along it appeared not many people knew it. I would imagine its on YouTube so check out 'she brings me the music' 'let my soul rest' 'this thing called life' 'are you ready' and 'royal highness' hope that helps
damonlufc

Postby shakermaker05 » 15 Jun 2011, 02:18

damonlufc wrote:Richard Ashcroft released an album last year called 'RPA & UNITED NATIONS OF SOUND'i think the RPA is his initials, anyway, its an indie style album with mixed reviews. I enjoyed the album and saw him perform it live exactly a year ago tomorrow at Manchester Apollo. He played the tour before the album was released, along with some of his classic songs too. He played a song called 'this thing called life' at brixton academy when beady eye did the japenese benefit concert but judging by how many people were singing along it appeared not many people knew it. I would imagine its on YouTube so check out 'she brings me the music' 'let my soul rest' 'this thing called life' 'are you ready' and 'royal highness' hope that helps

Good to hear you enjoyed it. I was just a little worried. I'm used to critics bashing the music I love, but this seemed to be more Verve fans saying it was really bad. I will check out the songs on youtube. Thank you for the feedback.
shakermaker05

Postby damonlufc » 15 Jun 2011, 20:28

Its not his greatest work but its definitely enjoyable. Also listen to 'glory'

Let me know what you think of it, oh and he wrote the soundtrack to the recent film 'The Adjustmet Bureau' staring Matt Damon, the songs called 'Futures Bright' 2 versions were released a fast and slow version, they are both good.

On another note, Ashcrofts got the greatest voice live ive hered.
damonlufc

Postby celestine » 16 Jun 2011, 07:32

shakermaker05 wrote:
damonlufc wrote:Richard Ashcroft released an album last year called 'RPA & UNITED NATIONS OF SOUND'i think the RPA is his initials, anyway, its an indie style album with mixed reviews. I enjoyed the album and saw him perform it live exactly a year ago tomorrow at Manchester Apollo. He played the tour before the album was released, along with some of his classic songs too. He played a song called 'this thing called life' at brixton academy when beady eye did the japenese benefit concert but judging by how many people were singing along it appeared not many people knew it. I would imagine its on YouTube so check out 'she brings me the music' 'let my soul rest' 'this thing called life' 'are you ready' and 'royal highness' hope that helps

Good to hear you enjoyed it. I was just a little worried. I'm used to critics bashing the music I love, but this seemed to be more Verve fans saying it was really bad. I will check out the songs on youtube. Thank you for the feedback.

Verve fans hate Ashcroft because they "believe" he alone broke up the band; the issue attracts the kind of Pink Floyd, Roger Waters/Dave Gilmour encamped vitriol & fanatacism....no one knows what happened but they & music "critics" are absolutely thuggish in their criticism. UNOS isn't a bad album, it's just not an indie one, as it's quite hip hop soul inflected. My favourite track is Good Lovin' where he really does a nod to Marvin Gaye's, Sexual Healing. Ashcroft is still the Sinatra of our times & as others here have said the best singer you'll hear live.
celestine

Postby shakermaker05 » 17 Jun 2011, 02:37

celestine wrote:
shakermaker05 wrote:

Verve fans hate Ashcroft because they "believe" he alone broke up the band; the issue attracts the kind of Pink Floyd, Roger Waters/Dave Gilmour encamped vitriol & fanatacism....no one knows what happened but they & music "critics" are absolutely thuggish in their criticism. UNOS isn't a bad album, it's just not an indie one, as it's quite hip hop soul inflected. My favourite track is Good Lovin' where he really does a nod to Marvin Gaye's, Sexual Healing. Ashcroft is still the Sinatra of our times & as others here have said the best singer you'll hear live.

Yeah man, Richard Ashcrofts music changed my life. I'm as big of a Verve fan as anyone, but I always enjoyed his solo material too. As I said to open this thread I thought Keys to the World was a steller record. Music is Power, Words Just Get in the Way, Break the Night With Colour....World Keeps Turning were all sick tracks. I'm defintely gonna have to check UNOS out it sounds like.

BTW, I don't know if any of you Verve fans are following Simon Jones & Nick McCabe nowadays, but their new band "The Black Ships" released an EP and it sounds pretty tight! You'll have to check it out.
shakermaker05

Return to All Things General