Miles Kane.

Miles Kane.

Postby marcmelrose » 21 Jun 2011, 00:08

The modern day Weller.The man is genious his stage presence is amazing and hes even mastered the Weller strut. If you haven't checked his new stuff out. Go do so!

If you have checked him out whats your views on him?
marcmelrose

Re: Miles Kane.

Postby mattlee345 » 21 Jun 2011, 00:16

I wouldn't go as far to say the modern day Weller, but his new stuff is pretty enjoyable; not much more than that for me I'm afraid. It's easy listening and as such I don't think it has that 'anthem' feel that so many Oasis classics have. Comparing to him to a band with a storied history is perhaps to harsher judgement however! :lol:

I also find it's largely influenced by Alex Turner from the Arctic Monkeys (Naturally I suppose what with them being good friends), and in a phrase that will not please a lot of people on this board(!), I see them as one of, if not the most over-rated bands of the modern age having produced one mediocre and two awful albums following a fantastic first.

Getting off the point there though. Colour of the Trap is good, but nothing more in my own personal opinion.
mattlee345

Postby marcmelrose » 21 Jun 2011, 00:27

It is a bold statement to reffer to him as the modern day Weller but thats how i honestly feel when watching him. I do feel comparing him to oasis on your behalf is slightly unfair ha. I agree in part with your arctic monkeys opinion, first album was a breath of fresh air for british music and music in general, second album wasn't as good and the 3rd album well.... the less said the better. Their new record "suck it and see" is amazing. Definately back to their first album roots, some heavy rock and roll on it!

Im looking forward to seeing both Arctic Monkeys and Miles at T in the park.
marcmelrose

Postby JackWMS » 21 Jun 2011, 06:41

Miles Kane's solo stuff is real nice, a really 60's poppy feel, better than The Rascals hands down. Alot of the songs are Turner Co-written so maybe they are Shadow Puppets left-overs, regardless though his album is proper enjoyable.

You're right though Mattlee, pulling that s**t won' please people here ( :lol:), Arctic Monkeys have written 4 fantastic albums and unfortunately (or fortunately for that matter) have grown faster than many fly-by-night fans are prepared to. Humbug is better than FWN and only beaten slightly by 'Whatever people say I am...'!

Anyway back to Kane, I'm not a huge Weller/Jam fan so can't compare too much to that but some of his songs have got that massive anthem fee; to them like Oasis stuff. Rearrange, Happenstance and Colour of the Trap are my favourites no question. He has real potential.
JackWMS

Postby digdug » 22 Jun 2011, 04:10

I quite enjoyed Quicksand, Colour of the Trap, and to a lesser extent Rearrange, but as I've surely said elsewhere on this forum I found the bulk of the album somewhat uninspired and awkward. In places I found myself wanting to skip to the next track. He's done a lot of covers and I approved of all of those, but his original material mostly doesn't appeal to me.
digdug

Return to All Things General